Support Worker – Youth, Extracurricular & Sports
Type of Job
Tapachula, Chis., Mexico
40 hours per week. Accommodation and one meal a day is provided.
Our Visión and Focus
The Misión México Foundation aims to break cycles of poverty, abuse and inequality; providing
opportunities for every child and youth that we care for to succeed. Through long-term solutions like
education, practical and emotional care and community development, we provide tools and
opportunities for children and youth to advance in every aspect of their lives, becoming the best that they can be. Our core focuses are; education and extracurricular activities; safe homes with a family environment; health and wellbeing support; community development, personal development and life skills.
In June 2022 Mision Mexico Foundation will be making changes to our Volunteer Program and investing in additional medium to long-term staff to help provide more consistency to our youth. In addition, our existing programs and activities with our youth will be expanding.
The Support Worker will play a crucial role in (1) developing, expanding and delivering our extracurricular and sports programs (2) facilitating offsite activities and outings (3) supporting a complex caseload of Mision Mexico youth.
Duties and Responsibilities
Direct Service Delivery and Pastoral Care
· Develop and facilitate weekly group sport and outdoor activities for youth living in our Misión México Casa
· Manage our extracurricular program including sourcing new extracurricular options, acting as point of contact for all coaches/clubs, managing monthly payments and fees, accompanying & supervising youth at activities when required, monitoring youth attendance and motivating youth to attend extracurricular activities
· Manage Individual Care Plans and personal development support for youth aged 14+ living in our Misión Mexico Casa. This includes 1-1 focus and mentoring for each youth under the Support Workers caseload.
· Assist in driving youth to extra-curricular activities, school, medical appointments, and off-site excursions
· Act as shift leader when required to help provide consistency within our Misión Mexico Casa
· Respond appropriately and effectively to day-to-day situations including challenging, trauma-related behaviours.
· Consistently be a positive role model in the Misión Mexico Foundation, whilst maintaining the confidentiality and safety of all our children and young adults Administration and Project Management
· Assist with and lead on projects and activities as designated by Mision Mexico Foundation Director
· Manage and update Individual Care Plans and case files for youth under the Support Workers caseload, providing quarterly reports to the Mision Mexico Director.
· Undertake and complete administrative tasks as requested by the Mision Mexico Foundation Director.
· Regularly meet with the team to discuss program progress
· Assist the Social Media, Communication & Campaigns Officer with gathering photography & film content, social media content, and campaign material
· Experience working with children or young people with backgrounds of trauma and/or disadvantaged backgrounds
· Proven ability to engage positively with children and young adults, whilst maintaining a high level of pastoral care and understanding of boundary setting
· Strong conflict resolution, negotiation, and problem-solving skills
· Ability to demonstrate patience, consistency, empathy, flexibility, initiative, humour, honesty, and maturity
· Proven ability to work as part of a team and demonstrate leadership qualities
· Valid ‘Working with Children Check’ and undergo a Criminal Records Check prior to employment. Subsequently, staff must report any criminal charges or court appearances.
· Two references from previous employers
· A minimum of both conversational Spanish and conversational English, fluent Spanish is preferable
· Experience in facilitating activities, sports and group work suitable for children and young people
· Full driving license, with willingness to drive a 15-seater people carrier in Mexico
This role is starting in June 2022.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, please include the following in your
email application to email@example.com
1. A covering letter addressing the selection criteria and your suitability for the role based on the
skills, knowledge and abilities requirements outlined in the advertisement and role description
(Maximum of 2 pages);
2. A current CV or Resume;
3. Copies of any relevant qualifications
4. The contact details of two professional referees, including your most recent line manager/s.